Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mikaela's Story - Part 1




This is the story of my angel baby, my 2nd born daughter, first-born of my loving and oh-so-amazing boyfriend, Mark. This is her legacy, short-lived, but life changing. It all started sometime in September of 2011; there was a “pregnancy scare”. I was under a lot of stress at home and at work and was about 5 weeks late on my “cycle”. Of course, I had already taken a couple of pregnancy tests, but they were all coming up negative. This, however, did not make me believe I was not pregnant, since I had the same problem during my first pregnancy. After 5 negative tests, when I was in fact pregnant, got me a little gun-shy on the subject.
So finally I started my period, and the disappointment sank in. I was standing in the bathroom looking at myself in the mirror after my shower and Mark walked in and kissed me. I couldn’t resist, I told him I wanted to try to have a baby. Definitely not the most responsible decision I’ve made in my life, but most certainly not the least responsible either. What are the requisites for wanting to start a family with a person that you are in love with? Not just ordinary love, out of left field love. Unexpected, but so complimentary to who I am at my core. Two people who bring out the absolute best in one another. That’s a good start. Then I already have a child, a child with another man. But this man I'm with now is so good to her, and the way he looks at the two of us, I know that he is going to make a truly amazing dad- A perfect father figure in almost every conceivable way.
Financially, yes, the timing could have been better, but we weren’t broke. We were managing pretty well, and ready to leave the roommates behind and get our own place together. No, we hadn’t been together that long however; what is time, just numbers on a calender? So we decided we would give it a shot. We didn’t tell anybody what we were doing, just kept the magic between ourselves.
We were living in our own home now, not a fabulous neighborhood or a gorgeous estate, just a rental, but it was ours. It was liberating; it was quaint, and it was cozy. It was ours. I’m not sure how long we were there before I realized one day, I’m late again. I tried not to get my hopes up, I knew that stress, diet and everything else could influence my cycle. I had never been “regular” like that, so I didn’t want to psyche myself up for nothing. But, I bought a 3 pack of tests, and put them up for when I was ready. I waited about another week.
I woke up early for work one Friday morning, Mark was working nights managing at a local bar at the time, so he was still up and pretty much just getting home, settled and ready for bed. It was about 5:30 a.m., November 11, 2011. Hmm, I just noticed that, 11/11/11. Make a wish, right? Hmm.
So, I go into the bathroom and take the test. Almost instantly the little plus signs comes up. I didn’t jump or bounce or scream or yell, I just smiled and walked into the bedroom. Mark was looking at me anxiously, he’s not one for suspense, it was driving him crazy. “You’re going to be a daddy.” He ran into the bathroom to look at the test, we debated whether the faintness of that plus sign was a bad thing and decided it was all okay, we were going to have a baby. We were on our way to completing our family. We decided to wait a few weeks to tell anyone, but every day it was all smiles, all happiness, pure love. We were ready for this. We wanted this more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment